On June 29, 1935, the Erie Downs Greyhound Association opened one of the most elaborate facilities of its kind in New York State. A person paid an entrance fee and made bets while watching greyhounds chase a mechanical rabbit around a one quarter mile track. During the 1935 and 1936 seasons, the dog races drew thousands of patrons. Reports of profits varied from “great to enormous”.
Then charges were made of graft, corruption, malfeasance, collusion and diversion of monies into the pockets of New York City racketeers. By 1938 the track was closed.
In 1942 the track, grandstand and outbuildings were torn down for the U.S. Government residential housing development to support the Curtiss Wright plant on Genesee Street and became known as Ti-o-run-da. Today this corner at Harlem Road and Maryvale Drive is known as Cedar grove Heights.