Cheektowaga Postal History

A Cheectawaga (Cheektowaga) Post Office was established on August 12, 1841 with Elnathan Bennet appointed postmaster, but he did not take the oath of office and it was discontinued June 17, 1842. It was re-established May 2, 1844 with Frederick B. Merrill as postmaster. On March 6, 1894 the name of the office was changed to Forks. On September 1, 1930, the old name Cheektowaga was adopted again. Ten years later (September 30, 1940), the office was discontinued. Up to this point in time post offices were kept at the home or businesses of the postmaster. The last one in Cheektowaga was at 23 Zoerb, home of postmaster Andrew Schmitt.

On February 15, 1951 a new post office was opened at 4250 Union Road and remained there until 1964 when it was removed to make way for the Kensington Expressway. On October 3, 1964 a new office was opened at 3470 Genesee Street just behind the Airport Plaza. In 1989 the present post office was opened on then Postal Drive, now Galleria Drive.

Cheektowaga Postmasters (offices located at homes or business until 1951);

2/1841 – 6/17/1842 Elnathan Bennet (did not take the oath of office)

5/2/1844 – Frederick B Merrill

7/27/1849 – Nathanial Illingworth

9/27/1858 – Paulus Duzinger

1/16/1860 – Nathanial Illingworth

4/13/1869 – Stephen Illingworth

2/2/1872 – William Bennet

5/18/1877 – E Selden Ely

10/14/1886 – William Ball

11/2/1886 – William Batt

11/29/1887 – James H Brown (changed to Forks 3/6/1894)

9/5/1895 – John H Stock

10/19/1898 – Edward Monin

1/2/1915 – Archer A Stock

7/21/1925 – George Lenz

10/20/1925 – Caroline K Lenz (changed back to Cheektowaga 9/1/1930)

1/7/1935 – Andrew R Schmitt (Cheektowaga office discontinued 9/30/1940)

2/15/1951 – 1964 – Frank Dudek

1964 – Myron F. Blakeney

 

Cheektowaga also had other post offices;

Bellevue Postmasters;

1/20/1894 – Richard Danforth

2/14/1898 – William R Davidson

8/10/1898 – John Ryckman (office discontinued 6/3/1902)

Doyle Postmasters;

1/2/1891 – Edward Brininstool

9/6/1893 – Frank Oversocker (office discontinued 6/8/1894)

5/12/1900 – Annie Rainey (office discontinued 6/10/1904)

Sloan Postmasters;

4/16/1890 – Edward Greene

5/23/1894 – Leon M Sadler

7/7/1895 – Catherine L Leahy

11/8/1895 – Alfred W Ackley

12/8/1897 – George Meadway

5/6/1902 – Erastus O Smith

6/3/1905 – Lulu B Smith

8/15/1910 – John A Meahl (office discontinued 12/31/1914)

Four Mile Creek located on northeast corner of Genesee Street and Harlem Road;

6/28/1852 – Elisha P Adams (office discontinued 11/24/1857)

 

Cheektowaga 1846 & 1850s

 

Cheektowaga 1883 & 1940

 

Forks & Doyle